Thursday, March 6, 2008

the punk sweater

So my roommate John, who up until the present been oblivious of my knitting, has decided it would be nice for me to make him a sweater. AARGH! I mean, really, AARGH!

This sweater, in point of fact, or one almost exactly like it:


Please note that this is the only photo that I could find (he was supposed to look for a picture also, a specific image of Johnny Rotten singing holding the microphone in one hand and pointing with the other, but of course he never got around to it). Please also note that I'm neither a designer or a knitting expert of any kind, so it's not pie to intuit how this thing is built. The one thing I'm pretty sure of is that the body is done in garter stitch. I'm also pretty confident that the sleeves are bound off a little tightly to give that pulled-in look at the wrists. So is that a dropped sleeve, a raglan sleeve, or a batwing-type affair where the whole front is knitted like a capital T? I can't tell whether the horizontal stiches on the shoulders continue all the way down to the wrist or not. And how is that neckband achieved? It almost looks as if the giant stitches are sewn onto something else (especially if you look at the shouldery bit partially obscured by his chin).

He's very particular that the stitches are to be inordinately large; when I was showing him the knitting needles at my LYS and asking him to choose between the 17s, 19s, or even perhaps the 35s, he immediately pulled the lone 50 (actually a broomstick lace pin) off the wall and exclaimed happily, "This one!"


If anyone in the blogosphere has any idea where I might find a pattern, clear photos, or any ideas on how I might construction this sweater, I'd be eternally grateful.

No comments: